Re: [Usability] How should an editor behave when it comes to search and replace?

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 15:42 +0100, Markus Bertheau ☭ wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I'm writing a continuous-save, mom-friendly and plugin free text editor
> for GNOME. I'd need interaction design advice on how a text editor
> should behave when it comes to searching / searching and replacing. What
> do you see as optimal behaviour for a text editor for GNOME in this
> respect?

Personally, I have always hated the way a search or search & replace
type dialog worked since it always needs to be moved because it is above
something you are reading on a web page or in a document.

The new search mechanism that Firefox uses from version 1.0 (I think)
where a small entry box and some options appear at the bottom of the
window is a great idea.  Plus the whole idea about having colours when
the text doesn't match and optionally highlighting every instance in a
document is just brilliant in my opinion.

--
Regards,
Martyn