Re: [Usability] Sound Juicer 2 mockup comments

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Markus Bertheau wrote:

> Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:56:24 +0100
> From: Markus Bertheau <twanger bluetwanger de>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: ross burtonini com, usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Sound Juicer 2 mockup comments
>
> У Втр, 2005-01-04 у 17:48 +0000, Alan Horkan пише:
>
> > Another mistake I think is not using a File menu, as it is inconsistant
> > and unlike a Calculator where you aren't manipulating any files each track
> > does in reality correspond to a file so it doesn't make sense.
>
> I think my mom thinks more in terms of a disc when using something like
> sj instead of of files. If she even knows what a file is. There's music,
> documents, presentations on her desktop and in her folders.

Not having been able to run Sound Juicer i cannot be sure what the best
thing to do would be but in some applications it would make sense to have
a File menu for the standard File operations like Open,Save,Quit,Close etc
and have a seperate Disk menu for things that are specific to the Disk
like eject or play or next track.

Most applications should have the four basic top level menus File, Edit,
View, Help and probably another menu for the application specific items.

I dont understand those who are trying to get rid of the File menu, in the
case of File Roller it just overloads the menu when it would be much more
organised to seperate it out into a File menu and an Archive menu with
Archive specific actions like Extract a file, password protect, and so on.
(It is a bug I've been meaning to file for ages, but I kept meaning to
wait until I had a patch already done)

Sincerely

Alan H.