Re: [Usability] Sound Juicer 2 mockup comments

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 16:26 +0100, Samuel Abels wrote:
<snip>
> > I was planning on having the play button double as a pause
> > button, but I understand the HIG advises against this.
>
> I would vote for HIG-compliance, as the current functionality never felt
> "right" to me in Totem. Making them separate buttons would be closer to
> what people know from the real world. Even more, for the same reason I
> would like a "Stop" button in Totem. Isn't that even more important in a
> CD player? "Pause" would probably keep the CD spinning, thus also
> blocking the hardware eject button.
> But either way, those changes should be made consistently with Totem.

The 'G' in HIG is for Guidelines, not laws. Totem having only one button
for play and pause was already discussed on this list, check the
archives. I won't change it. I don't see why I should waste space for
the sake of it.

And there's no stop button in Totem, and I don't think there should be
one in sound-juicer as a player. What would be the use?
- Stop the CD spinning, but in pause it would stop spinning as well (or
at least it should)
- Paranoia before exiting the application (you never know...)
- Paranoia before ejecting the CD (just in case!)

I can't find a good reason here.

> > Currently SJ displays a dialog when it is copying a CD -- it would be
> > possible to replace it in this design with the "copying" icon in the
> > list view (see track 4), and the time slider possibly showing in-track
> > progress.

I like progress bars in the table itself, like in Epihany's download
manager for example.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>