Re: [Usability] any menu editor suggestions?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Christian Neumair wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:45:30 +0100
> From: Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] any menu editor suggestions?
>
> I've just released the first tarball [1] of gnome-menu-editor (read [2]
> if you want to download and try it out). You can see a screenshot of it
> under [3]; it is coded after a proposal of Calum [4] we discussed under
> [5]; I already provided a mockup tarball in May.
>
> The way it works is pretty simple: You select a bunch of menus on the
> left pane you want to display on the right pane, where you can show or
> hide particular entries.
>
> Do you see any room for improvement? I think Calumns proposal is great
> in terms of simplicity, but should we provide more functionality? What
> about creating items/menus? Should this be turned into a full-fledged
> menu editing tool or is this admin stuff we need admin tools for? Should
> this be used for editing the preferences menu as well?
>
> [1]
> http://manny.cluecoder.org/packages/gnome-menu-editor/gnome-menu-editor-0.1.tar.gz
> [2] http://manny.cluecoder.org/packages/gnome-menu-editor/README
> [3]
> http://manny.cluecoder.org/packages/gnome-menu-editor/screenshot-0.1.png

I think that should probably be Reset rather than Default (I see you
copied [4] so I blame Calum), otherwise looks great.

I'm trying to think of an excuse for this to be an application window
rather than a dialog because I always like having the option to maximise a
window and make the most of the available space.  If you are considering
turning it into a full application anyway perhaps this will serve
encouragement and one more reason to do so.

Does the list get sorted when you click on the column heading?  (I do see
that the titles are already sorted alphabetically anyway, so this is only
a minor point).
Presumably things like drag and drop reordering, and the ability to move
more than one item at a time and other things like that will come later?
I'd be happy to file bugzilla requests if you like.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/