Re: [Usability] Find bar variants

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Bryan Clark wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:44:23 -0500
> From: Bryan Clark <bclark redhat com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Find bar variants

> >- Should they have a Close button ?
>
> I think we're going to try not having one soon.  So I'd say no assuming
> we get some feedback that is pretty positive about this.

I would also point out that if you start putting close buttons on the
find toolbar then people will start wanting them on other toolbars and it
will get really nasty really fast.

> >- Next, Prev of Prev, Next button order?
>
> We played with ours for a while and found the [< Previous] [> Next]
> seemed most rational.  I'd recommend going with that, someone tried to
> point out a Fitt's law argument here where the Next is the most used and
> should be closer to the text entry.  I don't think the Fitt's law
> argument is valid.  The order choice was because having the buttons
> point at each other looked weird. :-)

Although I did mention ergonomics I didn't specifically mention Fitts law
and I think I (or at least I tried to) debunk the idea while I was at it.

> >- Is case sensitivity common enough to warrant a checkbox in the find
> >bar?
>
> Like I said, probably not, but we weren't tight on space.

Searching and skim reading I read an idea that case sensitivity might be
enabled only if Capital letters were used.  I'm not saying it is a good
idea, but it is an idea.

> My questions for others is: Are you supporting '/' as an alternative
> Ctrl-F keybinding to bring up the find bar?  I'm thinking about saying
> yes for Evince.  Just to keep those *nix weirdos happy ;-)

If it was possible to keep them happy would they really be true *nix
weirdos?

- Alan H.