Re: [Usability] Find bar variants

Hi,

Le mercredi 16 février 2005 à 12:44 -0500, Bryan Clark a écrit :
>On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 16:53 +0100, Christian Persch wrote:
>>- Evince:
>>  * Close button at the start
>
>I think we're going in favor of the auto-hide like Epiphany

Note that Epiphany doesn't auto-hide based on a timeout like firefox
(where it happens that it hides itself just as you were aiming the mouse
at a button), rather it hides the bar on ESC and if it loses the focus.

>>  * Prev, Next buttons
>
>We tried up/down buttons and they were just a little too confusing for
>some reason.  It could be that we auto-wrap the search so you're not
>always going up or down, but to the next result.

Agreed. (And Epiphany does wrap-around.)

>>  * Case sensitivity checkbox
>
>I've been tempted to clear this since I have a hunch it gets zero usage.
>However for now it doesn't hurt to keep.

Agreed, I don't think I've ever used case-sensitive find in Epiphany or
Evince.

>>  * Spans whole width of window
>
>This was just about using all the space we have.  I don't think that the
>find bar needs to be confined just to the document window.

Okay.

>>So:
>>- Should they have a Close button ?
>
>I think we're going to try not having one soon.  So I'd say no assuming
>we get some feedback that is pretty positive about this.

I agree; that's why I removed it in Epiphany's Find extension :)

>>- Should they span the whole width of the window, or exclude sidebar
>>areas?
>
>I don't think this is a big deal really, I would take up whatever space
>you have since the find bar is at the bottom and only about 24 pixels
>tall it can't cover up too much important stuff in sidebars.

Okay.

>>- Next, Prev of Prev, Next button order?
>
>We played with ours for a while and found the [< Previous] [> Next]
>seemed most rational.  I'd recommend going with that, someone tried to
>point out a Fitt's law argument here where the Next is the most used and
>should be closer to the text entry.  I don't think the Fitt's law
>argument is valid.  The order choice was because having the buttons
>point at each other looked weird. :-)

Yes, I think having Next left of Previous would confuse me too.

>>- Is case sensitivity common enough to warrant a checkbox in the find
>>bar?
>
>Like I said, probably not, but we weren't tight on space.

<nod>

>-----
>
>My questions for others is: Are you supporting '/' as an alternative
>Ctrl-F keybinding to bring up the find bar?  I'm thinking about saying
>yes for Evince.  Just to keep those *nix weirdos happy ;-)

Yes, I plan to make '/' activate the find bar in Epiphany's Find
extension.

Regards,
	Christian