Re: [Usability] Spatiality does not mean that navigational facilities cannot exist

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 13:24 -0600, Paul Best wrote:
> You could accomplish having a sidebar for spatial with what should be
> a rather simple change to navigational.  Right now the spatial
> nautilus is integrated nicely with the navigational mode (Open in
> Browser)

Actually, I have always found the distinction between spatial and
navigational mode rather strict and was wondering why it is implemented
that way.
When I have two folders on my desktop, why can't I just say, "this one
is a spatial box where I can drop my text documents, and the other one
holds a hierarchy that is supposed to open in a window with a tree
visible".

The browser window could still perform like a spatial window, popping up
in it's last known position. And (unlike what the browser does now) if
you have multiple icons holding hierarchies on your desktop, the browser
should remember different positions for each of them.

The same question arose for spatial mode windows - why can't I just
choose to display (bookmarks|history|notes|whatever) and have it
remembered window-specific? For example, in my "Books" directory, I like
to have notes visible, in my "Code" directory I prefer to use my
bookmarks because I know that I usually jump to zounds of different
directories from there, and my "/pub" directory is a tree, because our
company's project data is complex enough to force us into a hierarchical
structure.

-Samuel
|      Samuel Abels       |   http://www.debain.org    |
| spam ad debain dod org  | knipknap ad jabber dod org |