Re: [Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 01:18 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >      You seem to guess the end: If a Nautilus process is killed a new
> >      instance is started.  Well - this is one of the next boring
> >      missfeatures:
> >      If I want to kill a process I really want this.  Don't call me
> >      stupid.  And I do not want to search for a configuration option
> >      were I can tell that I *really* want to kill this beast.  So I
> >      just renamed /usr/bin/nautilus before killing the process and
> >      I'm waiting for the feature that you people start patching the
> >      Kernel that /usr/bin/nautilus can not be renamed ... :-(
> That is just session management. When an important app crashes it will
> restart it. Remove nautilus from the session and you are done. IIRC
> gnome-panel, metacity and nautilus are set in the session like that.

But now that I see it I think something can be done to satisfy both
parts (and without adding a setting!):

The session manager is a parent process of the apps, and so it can know
when important elements of the desktop (like nautilus, or the panel)
crash and restart them. That is a Good Thing(tm) IMO. However it is true
that when those process die because of a SIGTERM we can be quite sure
that they were stopped by deliberate user interaction, so restarting
them in that case is deliberately ignoring a user request (or even more:
actively reverting what the user has done, in front of his face), and
that is bad usability.

Perhaps gnome-session should be changed to avoid restarting apps killed
by user request (SIGTERM, and perhaps SIGKILL).

"Why program by hand in five days what you can spend five years of your
life automating."
            -- Terrence Parr, ANTLR author