Re: [Usability] Progress Bars

Thanks for the reply Ross,

The exact situation on my machine is that I have two optical drives - a
DVD and an HP burner.  If I try to rip using cdparanoia a CD with some
types of copy protection (such as Air's Talkie Walkie), the progress of
the rip is different depending on the drive I use.

My DVD will simply slow down to a non-moving crawl (or so it seems).  I
left it for an hour or so and the progress in cdparanoia showed no
change on the command line - well almost no change.

If I use the HP burner, it rips, albeit slowly.  The entire disk takes
an hour or so.

A non-protected disk is ripped in my DVD in about 5 minutes usually.

So if we remove the individual progress bars, the single progress bar
may not have enough fidelity to let me know that I should switch drives
to get a faster rip.

So you see, the individual track rip progress bars are very handy in
some situation.

I suppose I should adjust my example then and say that individual
progress bars are useful when the user needs to know when in a series of
actions a failure occurs, provided the combined progress bar does not
have enough fidelity to convey that info?

Of course I may be approaching "unique user" status, and can suffer with
a stiff upper lip if nobody else thinks my point is valid in any other
situations.