Re: [Usability] The eternal fileselector dilemma :)

Hi,

Alan Horkan wrote:

It is a little annoying when people post external links and dont include
at least a preface or outline of their suggestions inline as it makes it
much more awkward to respond to the points raised.
Sorry :)

The way I see this working would be that Save In Folder would become much
more like the Bookmarks in Mozilla (call it Shortcuts/Locations if you
prefer)
This much we definitely agree on. The question is - I am not very familiar with how the Gnome project works and I can do zero coding. How should I go on about trying to push this idea and get it done. Does it have something to do with writing a GOP/GEP/GIP(?!).

The Sidebar could be removed entirely, or collapsed by default with a
grippy provided for users to expand it if they want (similarly the stock
dialog could/should include standard preview widget hidden by default with
a grippy to expand it as well, application could have it expanded by
default if they really wanted).
I am against duplication. There are many other things that need that space as bad. But if it must be there, the possibility to hide will come in handy.

Breadcrumbs.
Interesting idea but it I dont think it is anything special.
I'd much prefer to have the Location bar back (and perhaps a small "Up"
button somewhere nearby if the developers were feeling generous).
Speaking about the Save dialog, you can use the filename part as the location field, it does autocompletion and all :) I'd have to think about Open though. But please - do some mock-uping and I can criticize :)

Save As
I dont think Character Coding belongs in the Save Menu I really dont.
Gnome developers have always given in to the temptation to add extra bits
to the file chooser when they really shouldn't.
I don't agree with you here. I'd hate to see several popups in succession (Iäd phrase this as "One action, one window" rule, but I have to think about it more). But I am on you with believing that the fileschooser is a useful piece of functionality and there is a world-wide conspiracy to get rid of it. I have a felling that the fate of the filechooser is very closely tied to the outcome of the presidential elections in the US...

nope, just kidding ;P

A decent filechooser is quite easy to do. Windows, KDE and Mac OS X have one. The problem is that Gnome wants a radically better one and as a result has come up with great ideas but not the simplicity that is needed. that is also why the "get rid of it" people have a great argument ;)

The "we dont need a legacy file chooser" crowd would say that if you have
nautilus open double clicking the file should open in the correct
application (but we both know there is often more than one correct
application).   The application itself should be a drag target.
That must also work, but that is the _lowest common denominator_ There are vastly different needs and use cases.

I know people are sick and tired of hearing all softs of different
opinions about the file chooser but the Beagle Search tool means a lot
What is the Beagle Search tool? Just send a link and lets keep the thread to the topic.

more messing with the File Chooser will happen so it is necessary to try
and figure out a way to get applications to at least make their changes in
a consistant way.
I agee here- While you dont like applications changing the chooser and I do, we have to face the fact that they will continue doing so.

What I have been wondering most of all is that now that we have a good
clean File Chooser API shouldn't it be possible for those of use who want
more than the current file chooser provides to create our own File Chooser
and wholesale replace it across our entire desktop without needing to
recompile each individual application?
Doesn't the current one allow that. I understood that is nice and modular and all?

The best,

L.