Re: [Usability] The eternal fileselector dilemma :)

Hi,

RUAUDEL Frédéric wrote:

Yes, I think bookmark is a very good idea too, but the problem is that I have one or two favorite location for each application I use. For example, I have an "Images" folder for the gimp, an "OfficeDocuments" folder for OOo, a "Music" folder for grip, etc. What I generally do, is choosing the best bookmarks, then expand the browser and choose the appropriate subfolder but it is very very satisfactory.

This was the very reason I mentioned bookmarks on my webpage - they are a great help, but not the final solution.

So to solve the problem of bookmarking everything, it could be great to have bookmarks saved by applications

Galeon does something like this - it keeps the last 2 directories in the bookmarks menu. But I donät like this because I canno't physically remember the correct setting (you know - in the muscles) when the menu keeps changing all the time. If there is a constant set of bookmakrs, I always know that folder "XYZ" will be at the bottom and "ZYX" at the top.

Also - the Galeon implementation has problems. If you delete one of the 2 directories while Galeon is running, you cannot save anymore, the dialog simply doesn't come up. There are probably lots of these kinds of gotchas which means that the code should be in GTK, not left to the individual apps.

The best,

L.