Re: [Usability] The eternal fileselector dilemma :)

Hi,

Alan Horkan wrote:

[snip]
I too very much like the bookmarks concept.

Yes, I think bookmark is a very good idea too, but the problem is that I have one or two favorite location for each application I use. For example, I have an "Images" folder for the gimp, an "OfficeDocuments" folder for OOo, a "Music" folder for grip, etc. What I generally do, is choosing the best bookmarks, then expand the browser and choose the appropriate subfolder but it is very very satisfactory.

So to solve the problem of bookmarking everything, it could be great to have bookmarks saved by applications and not system wide. I know that those who are new to computing will probably only need a "MyDocuments-like" folder where they will put everything, but as soon as you need to organize quite a little your files, you'll probably never need a bookmarks named "Music" when you save a OOo documents and vice-versa. So if your favorite application can show you your favorites places and only them, for the kind of documents it generates when you try to save them, it would be great. By doing so, you could place every folder you need in your bookmarks and avoid the need to expand the browser to choose a more specific one. And maybe for new user, the system can provide in the preferences a place to set a catch all folder (eg; MyDocuments) that could appear by default in every application bookmarks.

So I don't know if it is the fault of the filechooser that do not provide the API to do it or if it is just that application don't implement it, but it could greatly improved the "saveas..." dialog experience.

Best regards,

Fred