Re: [Usability] The new file chooser

rkaa netcom no writes:

> >From my side of the fence, it looks like you're trying to find reasons to NOT
> add it  back. You haven't given a single good reason for REMOVING it.

Why is it an improvement to remove the text entry? Because

- If the text entry is there and you type something into it, the state
  of the dialog gets inconsistent since the list and the entry show
  different things. In other words you would need a much more
  complicated mental model to understand and use the dialog.

- The only valid strings you can type into the entry are paths which
  don't mean anything to many users.

- It is one less widget which means less clutter and less stuff to
  understand.

For most people this means they can select files faster than if the
text entry was reintroduced, even if it means some people will not be
able to work the way they are used to.

Søren