Re: [Usability] The new file chooser

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 19:44, markus hammer wrote:
> > When you paste, the chooser would jump to what was pasted, and ctrl+L
> > would open containing what was pasted.
> >
> > "next" file would normally just mean pressing down arrow due to sort
> > order, so a typical sequence would be ctrl+o to open, ctrl+v to paste
> > filename, down arrow, Enter.
> >
> > Havoc
>
> may i ask out of curiosity why there is no text-entry widget? is there a
> discussion in distant times that decided this? or is it written in
> stone.

I do not know whether and where such a discussion might have taken
place, but when it comes to ask the question whether or not there should
be a new widget, I think we should always try and ask the question why
we need it rather then why we don't. More widgets = more clutter. This
is not to say that sometimes a bit more clutter is required.

I tend to say that users should not have to deal with file URLs since
they look cryptic, but I may just miss specific use-cases where this is
really required. If it is really required, then this is an issue that I
believe should be addressed, but so far I have heard no reasons other
then "because".
The use-cases given so far where rather unspecific or lead me to believe
that it is an issue where the user should not even need to use
copy/paste in the first place.

> in fact, serialized filenames are not a uncommon thing. on the office
> desktop. in print production, in audio production, in allmost anything

Please be more specific.

> you should regard as well, that the Ctrl+L shortcut is not documented to
> date, as well as lacking any UI widget to be triggered.

In this I agree, since IMO keyboard shortcuts are not the best solution
as they are not very intuitive.
But why not just middle-click into the filechooser? Seems like a great
solution to me.

-Samuel
|      Samuel Abels       |   http://www.debain.org    |
| spam ad debain dod org  | knipknap ad jabber dod org |