Re: [Usability] The new file chooser

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 00:52 +0200, rkaa netcom no wrote:
> Sitat Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>:
>
> > > I don't want to risk to make a typo, and it's much quicker to copy it than
> > > to type it. Can it be done as easy with tne new filepicker?
> >
> > Yes, ask for a "Copy Location" contextual menu item.
> >

> Goodies. That sounds like an "equal amount of clicks" operation.
> But can be be done per *today*?

The bug was filed. Send a patch if you want it done in the next
release :)

> > And, please, pretty please, tell us what the problems you're
> > encountering are, rather than naively thinking that bringing back
> > whatever widget into the dialog window is going to fix your problem.
>
> I assume the project is not beyond critique since I found the address to this
> mailing list at the HIG page. Feedback was explicitly encuraged. So I keep
> presenting problems. And you keep presenting possible solutions.

You're not presenting problems. From my side of the fence it looks like
you're trying to find reasons to have the text widget added back. Read
your e-mails again, getting you to explain the problems encountered is
like pulling out teeth.

> Whats the "pretty please" about?

About you making sure, extra sure, that you tell people what your
problems are, rather than pushing for a quick-fix solution.

> The fact is that the new filechoose was released without a lot of basic
> functionality. Someone said "less is more", when refering to the text widget
> being removed. Reminds me of an old fairy tale..."The Emperor's New Clothes".
> Even a child knows it: Less is just less.

The filechooser got enough testing to skim out the bugs in the code, not
enough to divert whingy users that would go "The old dialogue was
better, the new one is rubbish" without explaining what the problems
they're encountering are, or why they would want the old dialogue (which
was really the rubbish one) back.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>