Re: [Usability] splash screen, session tangent

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 21:40, David Christian Berg wrote:
> Alan was so kind to upload my mock up to
> http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/splash-mockup.png

> He also pointed out, that maybe it makes things a bit too complicated to
> have such a choice at all.

Probably.  This is the sort of thing that sprung to my mind as well,
when I first read Bryan's post.  I think I'd probably want to know what
documents I had open in those apps as well, though-- it might be a month
since I last logged in.

A less intrusive option might look something like a combined Recent
Documents and Recent Apps menu, e.g.:

Main Menu ->
  Last Session ->
    <> Footnotes - gnomedesktop.org...
    <> RE: [Usability] Splash scree...
    <> An Ubhal As Airde.mp3
    <> Calculator
    ---
    Open All

Then you could get back to your last session at any time during your
current one, rather than just at startup.  It certainly wouldn't work so
well if you wanted to open two or three of those apps/docs at once,
though, rather than just one of them or all together... ah, for the
Amiga's menu widget that let you select multiple checkbox menu items on
the same menu in a single visit :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group