Re: [Usability] splash screen, session tangent

Taking this back to the list.

On Mi, 2004-10-20 at 23:34 +0200, Christian Schneider wrote:
> David Christian Berg wrote:
>
> >Alan was so kind to upload my mock up to
> >http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/splash-mockup.png
> >

> Looks nice.. but the question is, do we really need this?
>
> Why not just load all applications you had open when you logged out. Or
> start with only the desktop.
> What advantage do I have if I can choose which applications to start in
> detail?
> If you really want this you should at least provide an all on/off
> switch. So a user can very fast check or uncheck all applications.

I _do_ see the reasoning against it. But the main disadvantage is that
it'll cost the user's time and give him extra information and options,
some might not even want to. So that's why I like the idea I developed
in my PS :)

> It would be nice to have the option on logout to start with an empty
> desktop next time or to keep everything open. But I doubt
> that we will be able to implement saving a session perfectly. And if
> it´s not perfect it is most time better to start with a clean desktop.

I don't think it makes sense at all to have it as a _logout_ option.
As I said, you decide on _login_ or right before login, what you want to do.
A clean desktop is not what I usually want for startup, actually. I want Gaim to start right away, and I want XMMS and Evolution isn't too bad an idea either.

> What I really miss in X and gnome is being able to log out of a session
> and really keep all apps open and running.
> So I can come back and continue at the same spot. Or even more
> interesting log into X from another terminal
> and get my whole session there (Sun does this afaik).

Well, I think it's called suspense, saving the ram on the harddrive and
restoring it on start up. This should work with my notebook but not on a
per user basis, of course.

But talking about this, is there an option for this in Galeon? I
sometimes just kill it, to save my Galeon session. That is quite harsh a
method, though.

David