[Usability] Re: Epiphany

Leonardo Santagada wrote:

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:49:50 +0200 (CEST), Reinout van Schouwen
<reinout cs vu nl> wrote:
Hi Leonardo,

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Leonardo Santagada wrote:

I really think ephy is a better browser for gnome than firefox, but it
still have a lot of room for improuvement, here is my take on it:
am I correct in thinking that you sent this to me personally? In that
case I will reply off list too.

I am sorry, I meant to send to the list but I never know if it is the
kind that you have to reply all or not
      * Noticeably slower than firefox: You can search the web for
        benchmarks
You are making the assertion, why don't you search for benchmarks? :-)
Anyhow, Ephy is based on the exact same codebase as Mozilla/Firefox so
I wonder what part of it would be slow and why.

I saw some benchmarks and couldn't believe, then I used and it is
noticeably slower.

For what is worth, I'm running Fedora Rawhide on a Pentium II 450 Mhz with 386 MB ram. I noticed that early versions of epiphany (1.0.x) where considerably slower than galeon (opening new windows, filing and managing bookmarks). I've used firefox both on windows and on linux and firefox is considerably slower on linux (in my experience). I still find Epiphany a little slower than galeon, but noticeabbly faster than firefox.

I'm talking mainly about the GUI aspects of the program (start up, opening new windows, tabs, opening the preferences/options).
Regards,
Ricardo Veguilla