Re: [OT] Acronyms again [Re: [Usability] GNOME 2.6+ usability: points of critique]

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:22:41 +0100, John Spray <jcs116 york ac uk> wrote:
> I for one am sick and tired of people
> threatening to stop using GNOME, as if to try and dignify their whining
> with blackmail.

Those people are the ones who believe that simply asking kindly is too
little but haven't realized that since most(?) of the developers do
not get paid for what they do, a statement like "I won't use it
anymore if you don't fix it" has the same impact as "I will not say
hello to you if we pass each other on the street if you don't fix it"
(from a complete stranger).

> Mr. Fendt seems to be complaining not just about specific software but
> the entire community that's behind GNOME, since software cannot be
> arrogant, only those who make it can.  He wishes that GNOME's
> development was guided by those who think like him.

I've watched some of "these" complaints (the discussions) for a while,
and often it seems like the one complaining is actually the one who
tell people "because I said so" and not the developers/whoever. If I
dared, I'd mention someone here, but I fear that it would summon him
here (and nobody want's that, I believe).

> While Alan is educating us all in netiquette, perhaps he'd like to tell
> the original poster that referring to gconf as a "lousy 'regedit'
> rip-off" might have somewhat lowered the tone of his message.  In fact,
> in the spirit of the original poster's writing style, I shall refer to
> his message hereonin as "that lousy post".  How's that?

I'd say it is half-fair thing to say, since it introduces only little
new. I identified the "GNOME-complaint ABC" from it. Actually all the
points are realated to these three:

a) Loss of options sucks (has a decent reason why)
b) GConf is windows registry (is an over simplification)
c) "spatialus" sucks (won't even go there)

A word of advice: when ever you encounter the GNOME-complaint ABC,
head for the nearest exit. It's not worth it.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi