[OT] Acronyms again [Re: [Usability] GNOME 2.6+ usability: points of critique]

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 robsta stereolyzer net wrote:

---- 8<---- snip!

> > away from GNOME. Why? Well that is what this mail is about; just
> > silently switching away from the desktop environment I have been
> > using
> > for many years just does not feel right.
>
> Unlike other desktop environments GNOME has a well defined target
> audience. HP put it very nicely once by saying something along the

For a moment I thought you meant Hewlitt Packard.

Please do not use acronyms.

In this case Havoc would have been shorter to type than Havoc Pennington
but still reasonably clear, acronyms are rarely necessary if ever.

> > Those points are mostly minor annoyances, treated separately.
>
> This might be a nice occasion to get off you ass and write a script
> instead of just complaining. You might make some people happy ...

robsta that attitude will get us nowhere, but maybe that reads as more
harsh than you intended it.

> Sorry for that very rude reply,

Dont you hate it when people start with the phrase "No offense but" and
then proceed to say something insulting?  (okay so it is usually more
funny and absurd than it is insulting but I hope you get my point).

Make forceful comments and stand by them or don't but please do not be
rude and then apologise for it immediately afterwards.

> but the things you bring up have been
> discussed over and over again. Please read the mail archives.

i know this is a standard response but there are better ways of saying it
and if the information is all that easy to find (in reality t is not
always easy to track down relevant mailing list posts ) it would hurt to
quickly google and try to provide a relevant link as a starting point like
this one perhaps
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-September/msg00446.html

- Alan