Re: [Usability] About the history side-panel

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:14:09 +0100, Maurizio Colucci
<seguso forever tin it> wrote:
[snip]
> ---
>
> Of course, these suggestions only apply to nonspatial nautilus. Adding
> the panel to spatial nautilus would violate the spatial paradigm,
> because it would contain items that are not in the current location.
> However:
>
> 1. you are already violating the spatial paradigm: spatial nautilus
> contains links to places that are not related to the current location.

Discussed on desktop-devel (funny that there is now two messages with
the same observation, which in turn is currently discussed somewhere
else :), basicly it's considered as a candidate for a menu on the
panel.

> 2. The pros may defeat the cons. Currently if I use spatial nautilus I
> have no way to quickly get to a recent folder, or to a bookmarked folder.

But it still shouldn't be attached to the current folder, if it's not
related. Also, the history function has (I'd say) limited value in
spatial, since folder juggling is not so big issue when the folders
are open at the same time (ie. you go somewhere, but don't close the
window when you go to the next location).

> 3. such a panel could be made external to nautilus, this preserving
> consistency.

Location history plugin sounds like a reasonable solution, that would
be useful to both models but not intrusive to either.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi