Re: [Usability] About the history side-panel

Kalle Vahlman wrote:

2. The pros may defeat the cons. Currently if I use spatial nautilus I
have no way to quickly get to a recent folder, or to a bookmarked folder.

But it still shouldn't be attached to the current folder, if it's not
related.
I agree.

Also, the history function has (I'd say) limited value in
spatial,since folder juggling is not so big issue when the folders are open at the same time
I don't agree. Keeping folders open 1. clutters the taskbar, and 2. they are not sorted by recent access, which makes it difficult to toggle between two or three locations.

(Taskbar grouping is no solution IMHO: it does solve (1) but not (2), and introduces a new problem: it always takes two clicks, making it difficult to toggle between nautilus and another app)

(ie. you go somewhere, but don't close the
window when you go to the next location).

3. such a panel could be made external to nautilus, this preserving
consistency.

Location history plugin sounds like a reasonable solution, that would
be useful to both models but not intrusive to either.

But the question is: should it be implemented as a dropdown-list (panel applet) or as a global sidebar that is always visible?

Mau