Re: [Usability] About the history side-panel

Maurizio Colucci wrote:

While programming my file manager (http://onefinger.sf.net), I discovered that a side panel containing the recently used locations greatly improved my productivity. I believe the reason is that a big part of my time is spent navigating between the folders.

Then I discovered that NONspatial nautilus contains something very similar: the side panel has a "history" mode which greatly improves my navigation speed. At first my jaw dropped, then I discovered the history panel was much more limited than OneFinger's:

1. The list cannot be narrowed to show only the bookmarked locations. Then you are forced to provide a separate "bookmarks" menu. On the other hand, if you provided a button "only show bookmarked folders in history panel", you could get rid of the "bookmarks" menu. IMHO this would be a major unification and simplification.

2. its history items are not first-class citizens: they can only be entered; I may want to delete, or move, a folder which I see in the history. Currently it is very difficult to do that. I have to click not the folder, but ITS PARENT. There's something wrong with this concept. There is another reason to make the items first-class citizen: see below.

3. Only folders appear in the history. This is a needless restriction: you could put RECENT FILES in it too (opened with any gnome application). Then, add a button to "only show files in history panel". This would be IMHO another major feature and unification. It would not be possible until you make the history items first-class citizens.

I forgot:

4. The history list (when visible) makes the toolbar buttons "back", "forward" and "up" useless. You could remove them from the toolbar. Another simplification. :)

Mau