Re: PATCH for Search in folders (was Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:33:07 +0000
> From: Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: Gnome Usability <usability gnome org>, Nautilus <nautilus-list gnome org>
> Subject: PATCH for Search in folders (was Re: [Usability] Some usability
>     feedback)

> > > Would definately be useful to have it in the menus.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > - Alan H.
>
> Attached is a patch for Nautilus which implements search in folders via
> the gnome-search-tool. Its accessible in both the main edit menu and in
> the selection context menu for a folder.
>
> Theres a keyboard shortcut of Shift+Ctlr+S to open the search tool too.

(At a glance the simpler shortcut of Ctrl+S doesn't seem to be in use by
Nautilus and Ctrl+Shift+S is not easily predictable so)

  I would strongly recommend using Ctrl+F as in Find.

Ctrl+F is already widely associated with the idea of Finding and Searching
in a wide variety of applications (notably Mozilla, which is a very
widely used and influential application)

The Gnome Human Interface Guidelines also point in this direction
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/menus-standard.html#menu-standard-edit

(Konqueror in File Manager mode includes a Find Tool under Tools but
doesn't seem to give it a keybinding)

> The ability to launch the search tool is limited to when either a folder
> is selected or no item is selected (search tool defaults to current
> folder in that case).

Sounds good.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan