Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 17:31 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Julien Olivier wrote:
>
> > You should try MrBurns: http://www.grawert.net/software/mrburns/
> > It's very simple, and still very BETA, but it works for me. It can burn
> > OGG and MP3 files. Use it in combination with nautilus-cd-burn and you
> > should have most of what you need.
>
> Neat! Although of course, this program screams to be integrated with
> nautilus(-cd-burner).

Actually, burning data and burning music are tasks so different that
it'd be really strange to have them anywhere tied together.
nautilus-cd-burner burns data, which is structured in one way (folders,
trees, etc); my-music-cd-burner burns playlists, which is structured in
a completely different way (ordered collection, maybe with grouping
(think movements in a classical piece), maybe with information about the
length of pauses between tracks, etc)

(NB: Everything that follows is implicitly qualified by a IMO)

What we need is a user level notion of a playlist, which can be created,
edited, played, and burnt onto cds, and so on. This tasks would be done
using a now imaginary gnome-playlist-editor---which most notably is
-not- a music library manager.

We do not need a playlist manager application, as nautilus is amply
capable of doing anything that might be reasonably asked of a playlist
manage. Iiuc, it is now possible to have nautilus show “Edit”, “Burn to
CD”, “Play” (activated by default on double click...) items in the
context menu for playlists. The organization of playlists is most
naturally achieved using folders, which the user already uses for
everything else, and deleting (and undeleting, for free) is already
provided by the Trash, &c.

The only hard part is handling the creation of playlists. It could be
done using a template and the current “Create Document” item in the
context menu, but it is generally agreed (and reasonable) that anything
in ~/Templates should be put there by the user herself, so that does not
really work.  If we had a document-oriented top level menu, I'd put
there the “Create Playlist” item, as a child of a “Sound & Video” item
(there is also the problem of -where- the playlist will be created...)
I'd also fold sound-juicer into this app, and add a “Create Playlist
from CD” menu item (probably rephrased in a smarter way to somehow make
explicit the ripping that will take place) It's a non trivial exercice
in UI design to do this folding, I guess, but we have seen harder ones
solved with such prowess that I am quite full of an agreeable
expectation in that direction.

I'd argue also that we would not need a music collection manager,
either, if we had something like vfolders capable of looking into
metadata attached to ogg's and mp3's. Maybe Beagle's nautilus folders
can be used for that. A rhythmbox stripped of anything but its
music-collection-manager capabilities would work here.

Note this approach has the nice aspect that in the user's eyes one is
only introducing a new object, and reusing the existing framework
(nautilus, basically) to do all the manipulations required, except of
course for the gnome-playlist-editor thingie.

I think I can summarize what this rant is trying to convey: I really
think that instead of adding applications to the desktop, we should be
adding object types.

Btw, re: what we have now: Muine is rather close to what I have in mind
as an ideal gnome-playlist-editor, except I'd love to see an even
simpler UI---sound-juicer-simple, or even spatial-forlder-simple.
Rhythmbox (which I use all the time, when gstreamer HEAD allows me to) I
have never been able to understand: it is too many things at the same
time. Sound-juicer is one of the current epitomes of the It Just Works
approach.

Cheers,

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>
http://www.gnome.org/~mariano