Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Mariano [ISO-8859-1] Suárez-Alvarez wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:08:00 -0300
> From: "Mariano [ISO-8859-1] Suárez-Alvarez" <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>
> To: Reinout van Schouwen <reinouts gnome org>
> Cc: GNOME Usability List <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback
>
> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 17:31 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Julien Olivier wrote:
> >
> > > You should try MrBurns: http://www.grawert.net/software/mrburns/
> > > It's very simple, and still very BETA, but it works for me. It can burn
> > > OGG and MP3 files. Use it in combination with nautilus-cd-burn and you
> > > should have most of what you need.
> >
> > Neat! Although of course, this program screams to be integrated with
> > nautilus(-cd-burner).
>
> Actually, burning data and burning music are tasks so different that
> it'd be really strange to have them anywhere tied together.

While I agree that it is a it odd and convoluted to mix the two tasks
which are normally seperate I've burned quite a few mixed media (Audio and
Data) CDs before.

On an average Audio CD you dont use up the full 650 MB (let alone 700 MB)
so I will use the extra space on the disk to backup some of the files I
have to hand at the time.

More often though I'll burn a CD with only few Audio tracks and pack the
rest with MP3s (or OGGs).

That said it is probably best to keep the task seperate so long as there
is some way to do the more complicated mixed media CDs (I've started using
K3B myself).

<snip>

lots of intersting ideas ...

</snip>

> Btw, re: what we have now: Muine is rather close to what I have in mind
> as an ideal gnome-playlist-editor, except I'd love to see an even
> simpler UI---sound-juicer-simple, or even spatial-forlder-simple.
> Rhythmbox (which I use all the time, when gstreamer HEAD allows me to) I
> have never been able to understand: it is too many things at the same
> time. Sound-juicer is one of the current epitomes of the It Just Works
> approach.

- Alan