Re: [Usability] distro for novices?

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 00:36 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

> I like Mandrake and I'm using it today but as a KDE distribution they are
> slower to updage their version of Gnome,

It would be fairer (and more accurate) to say that their release date
tends to be just before the gnome release date, so they haven't been
able to include the latest gnome for the past 2 or 3 releases.

Gnome 2.8 is now in cooker (Mandrake's beta/testing distribution).

I use it because it aims to satisfy both newcomers and experienced
users -- I want to use the same software that I recommend to others.
It also has excellent ease of installation and hardware detection,
and package dependency tracking (urpmi) that's more or less
comparable to Debian's in reliability.

I'm not sure what this has to do with useability though -- I initially
replied off-list.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin