[Usability] visiual feedback while starting

I had a friend of mine work on my computer yesterday, telling him, what
to do, via telephone. He was really confused that there was no visiual
feedback right away when programs (galeon (I know, it's in the window
list), inkscape and I think evolution it was as well as OOO, which shows
the splash only after a while) were starting. Now splash screens that
are always on top (scribus) are _really_ annoying since you can't keep
on working with them in place. OOO splash is quite nice, but it takes to
long until it shows up. Is there a reasonable HIG, how the feedback
should be handled?
Also the focus should not switch to the just started program, but remain
within the program the user is working with (I think this is being
worked on). Maybe the discussion on a "toaster"-Dialog panel-plugin in
will eventually also move towards embedding small splash-screens there?
Maybe even not allowing other splashes?

Just a thought.

David