Re: [Usability] Panel-dockable menubar now possible?

Dave Ahlswede wrote:
> Through Google, I stumbled upon a thread from late last year that
> mentioned with some of the new features in GTK 2.4, that externalizing a
> program's menubar (towards a Mac/Amiga global menu concept) would be
> more feasible than it was before.
>
> Is this the case? And if so, has anyone undertaken the project to do it?

Wow, this is something that I've wanted for a really long time.
Unfortunately, I've never had the ability to code it. It would go incredibly
well with the spatial Nautilus, since the repeated menu bar takes up space
that could be better used for the open folder window.

Some time ago, I came across this page for a GTK 1.x version:
    http://carcosa.net/jason/software/obsolete/gnome-globalmenu/

While it doesn't directly address your question (i.e. how to do it in GTK
2.4), it might still provide some insight. Note, too, that it's for Sawfish,
which may mean that there'd be additional hurdles to make a new version that
also worked within Metacity.

Here's hoping that someone might have interest in this...

- John