Re: [Usability] Re: Patch added for closing all spatial windows via menu and shortcut key

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 17:25, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 09:49, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > I'm comitting this, sans the shortcut key.
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig_new/input-keyboard.html#standard-shortcuts
> > lists Ctrl-Q as "quit", which is a very common shortcut that we probably
> > shouldn't overload.
> >
> > I'm CCing the usability list to get some input from them on a good
> > shortcut.
>
> Well, the HIG actually says that Close All Windows should be
> Shift+Ctrl+W.  Of course we're currently using that for Close Parent
> Folders, but now that we have a clash, the Right Thing would probably be
> to switch to the HIG shortcut for Close All Windows (well, Close All
> Folders, in our case), and come up with a different one for Close Parent
> Folders.
>
> Ctrl-Alt-W would be one of the more obvious alternatives, but
> unfortunately Ctrl-Alt shortcuts aren't very easy to do with one hand
> :/  Others might be some variant of Alt-Up (Open Parent) or F4 (the
> window manager's "Close Window" shortcut), but neither of those sound
> quite so appealing somehow.

One could argue (and some have done) that close all spatial windows is
very similar to quiting the filemanager, so ctrl-q makes sense. Whats
your opinion on that?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a war-weary voodoo master criminal with a secret. She's a blind paranoid
nun with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!