[Usability] Graphical CLI (was: Re: Efficient navigation in nautilus)

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 01:02:23AM +0200, Christian Schneider wrote:

> We really need to find a way to end this old debate about command line
> vs graphical interfaces. As an admin I would like to be able to use both
> and switch between them very easily.

I've been thinking about the pros and cons of cli and gui for
file management and how to combine them before.

There could be a ls with graphical output just like Nautilus list and
icon views. Clicking a folder would append a new prompt changed to that
folder. Clicking a file would just open it.
Selecting items would create a new prompt with a symbol representing
the selected items. Commands entered would appear before the symbol ...

Items in ls outputs that are no longer available would be grayed out.
But for still up to date items drag and drop between ls outputs could
be allowed (no full updates of outputs for keeping the log character).

Comments?

---
Thorsten Wilms