Re: [Usability] Efficient navigation in nautilus

Christian Schneider kirjoitti 27.05.2004 kello 11:01:

> The first thing is when I am in a folder and press Ctrl-L I get the
> location dialog. But the current location is selected. So when I try
> to navigate based on my current position I have to enter "right" and "/".

This might sound silly, but why not navigate with the open folder
if you want to navigate further down _that_ path?

I've always considered the location dialog as a sort of a shortcut to
navigate to a folder that you don't use that often and/or is not part
of your collection of shortcuts, not a primary way to navigate.

> The next thing is when I want to activate completion. When there is
> only one completion I see it selected and can use it by typing "right"
> on the cursor pad. One problem abbout that is that the cursor pad is
> too far away. I canīt write fast when I have to move my fingers away
> from the 10 fingers writing position. (Although I donīt really write with
> 10 fingers ;-) but I think you know what I mean.

I've always thought that moving my hand to the mouse from the
keyboard is something like "mildly annoying", but to say that the cursor
pad (a part of the keyboard, I presume) is too far to be usable...
Words escape me :)

> btw. I also canīt think of anyone who would need the tab key for
> switching input elements inside the dialog.

-o/ Me!

> If you want open you can type enter if you want to cancel
> you select esc.

Yes, you can type in the username and press enter but then the
password field was left empty... The tab-movement is really really
needed for the widget navigation, there's no way it could be disabled.
And for consistency, it needs to work averywhere.

> >Please not another button! ;)
> You are probably right. So the search bar is probably not such a good
> idea after all ;-)

Or perhaps merging nautilus and mozilla so it would search google as well
:P

> >That doesn't sound like a file manager, that sounds like a search window.
> >Which would make much more sense, since file manger is for managing
> >files, not to search for them.
> Yes ... I am not so sure about this search function. Things like
>  that do not work well in the spatial mode.

And a search bar that alters the content of a window works? Think not.

> >I don't understand why anyone would want to select many completions
> >at once. And why the selecting would affect normal operation in case
> >one doesn't select anything, but just use the list as a hint of possible
> >completions.
> Thatīs what I meant. I probably wrote it a little complicated ;-) I
> meant you canīt effectively select one completion from a larger list
> by up and down keys. But it is not necessary as you can just type it.

I think it works fine in firebird (not sure about ephy, and can't test currently).
Type-down(xN)-right-[more type]-enter
Not too complicated AFAICT. Breaks the 10-finger type of course, but I don't
think there is many _available_ key( combination)s  that won't.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/