Re: [Usability] Efficient navigation in nautilus

I have trouble understanding why the tab is needed (other than the
previous usage pattern (bash), which is usually not a good reason to
do something).
I agree that tab is not a good idea as it is used for switching the focus in dialogs and windows.
What would you suggest to trigger the completion?

Typing, the way it works now. There is no need to trigger it by an
extra keypress. And I am talking about the completion, not the
mentioned window.
Ok let me try to explain how the completion works now and what I donīt like about it. btw. I am talking about Version 2.6 so perhaps some of it changed in 2.6.1. I will try this one as
soon as it is available on Fedora.

The first thing is when I am in a folder and press Ctrl-L I get the location dialog. But the current location is selected. So when I try to navigate based on my current position I have to enter "right" and "/". Perhaps the Location dialog should start with the current path plus "/" and not selected. So you can just start navigating. The problem is only that it is then more difficult to start a new navigation from the root dir. But I guess this is more seldom then navigating based on where you are.

The next thing is when I want to activate completion. When there is only one completion I see it selected and can use it by typing "right" on the cursor pad. One problem abbout that is that the cursor pad is too far away. I canīt write fast when I have to move my fingers away from the 10 fingers writing position. (Although I donīt really write with 10 fingers ;-) but I think you know what I mean.

The other thing is that I canīt trigger showing other possible completions with the "right" key. As left and right are used to navigate inside the input field. It would be nice to have a completion key like in bash that selects the one possible completion by pressing it one time and shows several completions when pressing it two times. And like I saig it should be inside the range on the keyboard that you can access in 10 fingers mode.

If these keys were not as far away as the right key I had a good idea what to take. The "down" key could trigger selecting the completion and the up key could trigger going one directory up. So you have the metaphor of going one level down or one level up in the tree. Perhaps they could be used anyway as up and down have no really good use in an input field. At the moment down leaves the input field for the cancel button. But I canīt think of anyone who would need that.

btw. I also canīt think of anyone who would need the tab key for switching input elements inside the dialog. If you want open you can type enter if you want to cancel you select esc. Anyone who does not know this can still press the buttons with the mouse. So perhaps tab would be not so bad for completion even if it is not consistent with normal behaviour.

I'm not an expert in the spatial metaphor, but I think changing the
contents of a window (that is supposed to be a folder) by some input
field that is detached from its context would break it. At least it would
have to be somehow indicated that this is not all that this object
(folder) consists of, but a filtered subset of it.
That is the reason why I want to trigger the display of files by a double tab (or something similar) like in bash.
Someone who doesnīt know the scheme will not accidently trigger it.

Yeah, probably not.
I think it is important that showing several possible completions is not done automatically while typing as it would distract the user extremely.

Besides as you wrote some visual hint could be shown to signal the
user that some contents are filtered and of course there should be
some kind of button to reset the folder view so it shows everything again.

Please not another button! ;)
You are probably right. So the search bar is probably not such a good idea after all ;-)

Perhaps it could be some kind of search toolbar like in mozilla. That shows the current filter and can be emptied with a clear button at the end. This could then also be used for normal searches.

That doesn't sound like a file manager, that sounds like a search window.
Which would make much more sense, since file manger is for managing
files, not to search for them.
Yes ... I am not so sure about this search function. Things like that do not work well in the spatial mode. If you add something like a tool bar or a search bar it is always inside all windows. But the windows should
look clean so you better donīt add too much ;-)

[On the location dialog and its drop-down-list]
The problem with selecting is that you canīt select many possible
completions from a list with the up and down keys and it should
not be necessary to use the mouse.

I don't understand why anyone would want to select many completions
at once. And why the selecting would affect normal operation in case
one doesn't select anything, but just use the list as a hint of possible
completions.
Thatīs what I meant. I probably wrote it a little complicated ;-) I meant you canīt effectively select one completion from a larger list by up and down keys. But it is not necessary as you can just type it.

Christian Schneider