Re: [Usability] Efficient navigation in nautilus

Christian Schneider kirjoitti 27.05.2004 kello 00:37:
> Kalle Vahlman wrote:

> >I have trouble understanding why the tab is needed (other than the
> >previous usage pattern (bash), which is usually not a good reason to
> > do something).
> I agree that tab is not a good idea as it is used for switching the
> focus in dialogs and windows.
> What would you suggest to trigger the completion?

Typing, the way it works now. There is no need to trigger it by an
extra keypress. And I am talking about the completion, not the
mentioned window.

> >I'm not an expert in the spatial metaphor, but I think changing the
> >contents of a window (that is supposed to be a folder) by some input
> >field that is detached from its context would break it. At least it would
> >have to be somehow indicated that this is not all that this object
> >(folder) consists of, but a filtered subset of it.
> That is the reason why I want to trigger the display of files by a
> double tab (or something similar) like in bash.
> Someone who doesn´t know the scheme will not accidently trigger it.

Yeah, probably not.

> Besides as you wrote some visual hint could be shown to signal the
> user that some contents are filtered and of course there should be
> some kind of button to reset the folder view so it shows everything again.

Please not another button! ;)

> Perhaps it could be some kind of search toolbar like in mozilla. That
> shows the current filter and can be emptied with a clear button at the
> end. This could then also be used for normal searches.

That doesn't sound like a file manager, that sounds like a search window.
Which would make much more sense, since file manger is for managing
files, not to search for them.

[On the location dialog and its drop-down-list]
> The problem with selecting is that you can´t select many possible
> completions from a list with the up and down keys and it should
> not be necessary to use the mouse.

I don't understand why anyone would want to select many completions
at once. And why the selecting would affect normal operation in case
one doesn't select anything, but just use the list as a hint of possible
completions.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/