Re: [Usability] Efficient navigation in nautilus

Kalle Vahlman wrote:

Christian Schneider kirjoitti 26.05.2004 kello 11:20:
[clip]
I type Ctrl-L and the path input opens. Then I type /u Tab. The
completion is /usr and the /usr window opens,
but my input field stays open.

I have trouble understanding why the tab is needed (other than the previous
usage pattern (bash), which is usually not a good reason to do something).
I agree that tab is not a good idea as it is used for switching the focus in dialogs and windows.
What would you suggest to trigger the completion?

So I can navigate just as fast and as easy as in bash with the visual
help and comfort of nautilus.
My suggestion to place the input field alone and in the lower left
corner is to leave space on the screen for the folders to open.

You can, but think of all the calls to the helpdesk ("I just typed and it opened
some windows and my files were gone! HELP! Is this a virus?").
I'm not an expert in the spatial metaphor, but I think changing the contents
of a window (that is supposed to be a folder) by some input field that is
detached from its context would break it. At least it would have to be somehow
indicated that this is not all that this object (folder) consists of, but a filtered
subset of it.
That is the reason why I want to trigger the display of files by a double tab (or something similar) like in bash. Someone who doesnīt know the scheme will not accidently trigger it. Besides as you wrote some visual hint could be shown to signal the user that some contents are filtered and of course there should be some kind of button to reset the folder view so it shows everything again.

Perhaps it could be some kind of search toolbar like in mozilla. That shows the current filter and can be emptied with a clear button at the end. This could then also be used for normal searches.

My problem with the spatial metaphor and filtering a folder is that the filtered objects appear at a different position compared to their normal position when all objects are shown. But I donīt know if this is important as the filtering is only active for a moment.

BTW, how would it go away? By losing focus? So I check from the gedit window
I have minimized what was the name of the file I was looking for and *puff* the
input field is gone. Not good.

The idea, however, is not a bad one. It could be implemented as an applet,
so that you'd have to activate it on purpose to avoid confusion.
I had imagined it could be a panel applet. But it would be important that the input line can be called with a shortcut keystroke. The only problem with this is that most time people would probably not want the space for an input line taken inside their panel. Perhaps it could reside inside the panel in a very small form. When you then click the mouse in it or type Ctrl-L it could be expanded. A little like the panel itself that can be minimized when it looses focus.

On the location dialog, I think that the selectable drop-down (or some other
form) of possible completions would be a great improvement.

Yes although I think it does not even have to be selectable. In bash it is also ok just to be able to see the possible completions. The problem with selecting is that you canīt select many possible completions from a list with the up and down keys and it should not be necessary to use the mouse.

Perhaps the solution that could be implemented fast is a simple list below or over the location input field that shows completions when you hit tab tab and you just go on typing like in bash.

As always ... replace tab by another good keystroke. But it should probably one key not a complicated combination. Perhaps up or down would be ok if we donīt use a selectable list.

Christian Schneider