Re: [Usability] Efficient navigation in nautilus

Christian Schneider kirjoitti 26.05.2004 kello 11:20:

[clip]
> I type Ctrl-L and the path input opens. Then I type /u Tab. The
> completion is /usr and the /usr window opens,
> but my input field stays open.

I have trouble understanding why the tab is needed (other than the previous
usage pattern (bash), which is usually not a good reason to do something).

> So I can navigate just as fast and as easy as in bash with the visual
> help and comfort of nautilus.
> My suggestion to place the input field alone and in the lower left
> corner is to leave space on the screen for the folders to open.

You can, but think of all the calls to the helpdesk ("I just typed and it opened
some windows and my files were gone! HELP! Is this a virus?").
I'm not an expert in the spatial metaphor, but I think changing the contents
of a window (that is supposed to be a folder) by some input field that is
detached from its context would break it. At least it would have to be somehow
indicated that this is not all that this object (folder) consists of, but a filtered
subset of it.

BTW, how would it go away? By losing focus? So I check from the gedit window
I have minimized what was the name of the file I was looking for and *puff* the
input field is gone. Not good.

The idea, however, is not a bad one. It could be implemented as an applet,
so that you'd have to activate it on purpose to avoid confusion.

On the location dialog, I think that the selectable drop-down (or some other
form) of possible completions would be a great improvement.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/