Re: [Usability] Dynamic Workspaces

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 03:43, David Christian Berg wrote:
> Hey Daniel,
>
> I've been a little annoyed with preconfiguring the number of workspaces
> I might use as well, but...
>
> > * Suggested solution - Dynamic Workspaces:
> >
> > The idea is fairly simple, there is always an empty workspace at the end
> > of the list of workspaces. We can think of this workspace as a special
> > empty workspace. When a window is created in the special workspace a new
> > workspace is added at the end to be the new special workspace.
> >
> > Also workspace is automatically closed when a user closes all the
> > windows in a workspace and leaves the workspace.
>
> ...if a workspace is automatically closed each time, I close the last
> window, this leads to a lot of shuffeling, and it's even harder to
> memorize, which application is on which desktop. I'll think about it
> again, and see, if there's another solution to closing empty
> workspaces... maybe not, but still.

Notice that the workspace closes ONLY after the the user leaves an empty
workspace. The point is to get people to use workspaces more naturally.
I agree that it will cause some more shuffling, especially with the way
workspaces are created, and that is why I suggested having the workspace
switcher support easy workspace swaping.

If you can think of a better solution I would love to hear it :)

--
Daniel Brodie