Re: [Usability] Dynamic Workspaces

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 03:51, Julien Olivier wrote:
> (snip interesting proposal)
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I like your proposal but just wonders: why not simply use tabs instead
> of workspaces ?

I agree that in technical terms it is simmilar to tabs, but the whole
idea is to get the conceptual model clearer so users will understand
workspaces better.

> Why not have a tab bar along the main panel, with a "new tab" button and
> a "close tab" button ? Closing a tab would warn you if you have opened
> windows on this tab before actually being closed. And right-clicking on
> an application's icon should have a "open in new tab" entry.
>
> That would be consistant with Epiphany/Mozilla's behaviour.

But would be inconsistant of what users precieve a workspace is.
(Atleast from what I understand users are supposed to precieve).

I find myself abusing the 'show desktop' feature due to it being so easy
to start working from scratch on a clean workspace. Only it all gets
jumbled up with exsisting apps. By having the 'always empty' workspace a
user can clean up his workspace for new work very easily, and when he is
done, it gets cleaned up automatically.

--
Daniel Brodie