Re: [Usability] desktop entry names, generic?

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 08:15 +0300, Tommi Komulainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 18:14 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
> >
> > Problem being that in this discussion came the idea that the GNOME base
> > applications should carry only the GNOME brand.  When I say the GNOME
> > brand, what I mean is _no brand at all_.  So if "Joe Image Viewer" is
> > part of the desktop release and the default GNOME Image Viewer it's menu
> > item name remains "Image Viewer", no matter how many other Image Viewer
> > applications are installed in parallel.  Now when the user installs
> > "Crackbox Image Viewer" the "Joe Image Viewer" retains the name "Image
> > Viewer" as it's 'brand' or proper name is to be a part of the desktop.
>
> How is this scheme supposed to work with 'preferred applications'
> preferences?   At the moment I can pick my favorite web browser but
> whenever I start the "Web Browser" from the menus I get Epiphany
> instead.  Same for all other 'preferred applications' - something else
> is started from the menus.

Yes, this is the situation where you have an alternate browser installed
in parallel to the GNOME Web Browser and have chosen it to be your
default.

So you installed your favorite browser and it is called "Favorite Web
Browser", and is listed so in the Preferred applications menu.  This
doesn't change what the GNOME Web Browser is, just that you have a
preference of what you want to be your default browser.

This desktop spec doesn't create the WinXP style menu where whatever is
your default browser is what the Desktop calls "Internet".  Although I'm
not saying that isn't a nice way of doing things.  The desktop spec
controls how the menu items are displayed according to what the
applications really are.

Cheers,
~ Bryan