Re: [Usability] Re: your mail

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 11:46 +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> The toolbox is needed most of the time. It also contains the main menu.
> Having a control window with just a menu would only make for an additional
> window, wasting space with an extra titlebar and adding to the window
> management headache.

What you need is fast access to the tools.  I don't think anyone
disagrees with that.  The toolbox/palette is a mechanism that
gives you fast access, but it is not the only conceivable one.

This isn't to say that the toolbox is good or bad, just to
point out that it's a mechanism, a way to implement a requirement,
not a requirement itself.

Looking at the actual user need separately from how those needs have
been met in the past is an important part of making improvements.

Best,

Liam

http://barefootliam.deviantart.com/ (art)
www.holoweb.net/~liam/picures/oldbooks/ (stock art from old books)