Re: [Usability] GIMP - CSDI and Toolbox - gnome HiG and window manager issue?

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 23:31, Marek Peteraj wrote:

> The Gimp is *primarily* intended for professional work.
[...]
> I doubt that anyone who commented on CSDI here has used Gimp
> professionally.

You do realize that Gimp wouldn't even be used professionally since it
can't manage process color, right? I use Adobe Photoshop
professionally and wouldn't be able to use the current Gimp to
accomplish my job responsibilities, either for this reason or for UI.

> Gimp fulfills each of those properties. The Gimp is a masterpiece in
> terms of UI design.

Good grief, let's lay off the superlatives. :) Gimp is miles from
being a masterpiece, we're still just talking about basic usability!

[...]
> > > The philosophy of the Gimp UI is to have all tools and their
> > > options immidiatelly at hand. Click on tool, click your option.

Too many exposed tools and options is one of the first indications
that the UI is broken. Basically there is no design, everything is
just sort of plopped around because the designer doesn't know what to
do with everything. Simplicity managed out of complex forces indicates
great expertice in the manager.

> The GIMP is difficult to manage without a complex window manager.
[...]
> It's becasue CSDI needs special treatment from the WM. Sad but true.

Exactly right. It appears the irresistable force and immovable object
argument will have to be resolved before this gets straightened out.
One project or the other is going to have to submit itself to the
problem. Or we can all just stick our heads in the sand and hope it
goes away by itself.

I frankly think the *task list* could be enhanced to solve most of the
window side of the problem. (Gimp's UI issues being internal to that
app.) Currently, tasks indicate only one thing: current or not
current. What if tasks could be graphically grouped? What if the
icon/text could be expanded to indicate an MDI/Tab type application?
It could show a nested task (a thicker frame or outline?) and act more
like a drop down list (like the task/window selector) for individual
windows?

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]