Re: [Usability] GIMP - CSDI and Toolbox - gnome HiG and window manager issue?

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 04:42, Steve Hall wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 23:31, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> >
> > The Gimp is *primarily* intended for professional work.
> [...]
> > I doubt that anyone who commented on CSDI here has used Gimp
> > professionally.
>
> You do realize that Gimp wouldn't even be used professionally since it
> can't manage process color, right? I use Adobe Photoshop
> professionally and wouldn't be able to use the current Gimp to
> accomplish my job responsibilities, either for this reason or for UI.

Depends on what kind of professional work you're refering to. Besides
keep in mind that this issues are going to be solved in the future with
the Gegl engine.

> > Gimp fulfills each of those properties. The Gimp is a masterpiece in
> > terms of UI design.
>
> Good grief, let's lay off the superlatives. :) Gimp is miles from
> being a masterpiece, we're still just talking about basic usability!
>
> [...]
>
> Too many exposed tools and options is one of the first indications
> that the UI is broken.

?

Same thing in Photoshop. Don't tell me as a professional user that
fishing for options in menus is what makes your work more comfortable.

Are you aware of the fact that you can freely dock each windows in a
dock/tab interface?

What you'll have exposed is max. 3 dialogs at a time. Just like in
photoshop.

> Basically there is no design, everything is
> just sort of plopped around because the designer doesn't know what to
> do with everything.

Are you sure you're talking about gimp 2.0? ;)

Marek