Re: [Usability] Adding a "recent locations" button?

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 17:44 -0400, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
2) Even for who knows about the middle click, when I enter a folder I don't
know (and I don't want to decide) whether or not I will need the parent
folder again. Forcing such an early decision is a design error.

Proposed solution:

1) when I enter a window (single click or double, depending on the global
setting), make the parent close by default;
This may be a valuable option, but I think it should be an option, and probably
not the default.  It breaks alot of the benefits of the spacial model.  If I want
move files around in a project tree, I need the top folder of the tree open.
"Open in same window" is useful for drilling down to a particular location
("browsing" for a file), but much less useful for managing files.

I agree that alot of features in nautilus right now are very undiscoverable -
shift-click, alt-up, middle-click, Cntrl-L and that's an issue.

2) Add a "recent locations" button to the gnome panel which, when pressed,
pops up a list of the most recently visited locations (ordered recent-first).
Clicking any item reopens the location (if closed).

This way, I am not forced to decide early whether the location will be needed
again. When, AND IF, I need a recent location, I can simply click the
"recent-locations" button and choose the location.

I think it may be better to replace the nautilus bottom-left drop down with the cookie crumb widget fromt he new file selector.

Its more discoverable than the current dropdown and would be consistent across the desktop.  Additionally, it provides "recent" location bot up and down the tree.

Also add a "favourite locations" button. Similar to the bookmarks in KDE or
Windows. It is a natural addition and solves some problem which would be off
topic to discuss now.
Absolutely, favorites/bookmarks need to be consistent across nautilus and the
file manager, I think there's some plans for this in nautilus.

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous cvs sourceforge net:/cvsroot/segusoland checkout
logicaldesktop
I'll try to build it tonight.

-Brian