[Usability] Adding a "recent locations" button?

Hello there,

I have an idea which I believe could solve the problem (which some people
think exists) with spatial nautilus. Namely, the fact that

1) The middle click (or shift+click?), which closes the parent folder, is not
discoverable.

2) Even for who knows about the middle click, when I enter a folder I don't
know (and I don't want to decide) whether or not I will need the parent
folder again. Forcing such an early decision is a design error.

Proposed solution:

1) when I enter a window (single click or double, depending on the global
setting), make the parent close by default;

2) Add a "recent locations" button to the gnome panel which, when pressed,
pops up a list of the most recently visited locations (ordered recent-first).
Clicking any item reopens the location (if closed).

This way, I am not forced to decide early whether the location will be needed
again. When, AND IF, I need a recent location, I can simply click the
"recent-locations" button and choose the location.

--------

Of course, each time the user enters a folder, from ANY nautilus window, the
recent locations list should be updated. So the list is in some sense
"global" (not relative to a single window).

You would also probably need to show the full path in the recent locations
list.

--------

Possible additions:

Also add a "favourite locations" button. Similar to the bookmarks in KDE or
Windows. It is a natural addition and solves some problem which would be off
topic to discuss now.

A working prototype of this behavior can be found in my program, called
(temporarily) "Logical desktop". Unfortunately there's no home page yet.
Source code available with (mind the newline)

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous cvs sourceforge net:/cvsroot/segusoland checkout
logicaldesktop

Comments are welcome.

Maurizio