[Usability] sound as user interface aid

Ok so i had this idea...which is based on some work i've done/encountered with the auditory community but I don't know where I should go to start the project. I was thinking the KDE team or gnome team might be interested or i might start my own sourceforge project (though I've never managed a project there)...the intention is for it to be opensource and available to everyone:

Proposal: Sound Localization Sound Layer

Introduction
It has been shown in many different studies that users are more efficient in a multi-task environment where sound is used to direct their attention. This is especially true in immersive environments such as airplane cockpits and so called ?information cockpits? (I know i should cite someone here). For example a pilot benefits greatly from hearing alerts, which seem to come from the object that needs attention. Similarly, there are business and home applications for this type of attention management. For instance an alert could direct you to the physical location of your mailbox when you have a new message or it could alert you to a window containing a rapidly climbing stock price.

The idea:
The idea for this project is to create a sound layer/plugin that brings sound localization type attention management to the everyday PC. This layer should be made to work on linux and windows machines and will be opensource.

Implementation:
The implementation of this idea should be fairly straightforward. At its simplest level the layer will take information about application or icon location and modify the panning of sound output to direct attention to particular areas of the desktop. The application should be no harder to write than a simple mixer (although it should be able to play sounds at different panning locations at the same time.) The program should also have a tiny memory footprint.
Additional adjustable parameters:
Intensity of panning
Individual application settings
People probably will not want their music to be localized
Should be easy to turn on and off (tray icon possibly)
Turn real time panning on and off
If someone moves a window while it is creating sound will the panning move with it or will it reset only after the window is dropped?

The bottom line is...this attention management stuff is nothing new. However, it has always been implemented on the application level and never as part of a sound layer or a interface plugin.