RE: [Usability] RE: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s New Fi leSelector

> Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> >>Hmm, as I recall, Nautilus at least remembered icon/list view
> >>per-folder.  Dunno about zoom.  Ideally, the file selector
> >>would honor these options completely.
> >
> > I'm not following this whole thread, but ... I hope you aren't
> > suggesting that the file selector should switch between
> icon and list
> > views as you navigate to a folder, depending on the
> Nautilus setting
> > for that folder. The file selector is not the Nautilus file manager.
>
>  From a usability perpective, let me play devil's advocate
> for a minute.
>
> Is this last bit - about the file selector not doing this
> because it "is
> not the Nautilus file manager" - really the right REASON for
> saying that
> the file selector should not do the suggested behavior?
>
> I would say no. Not that I necessarily think that the file selector
> SHOULD do this view switch thing (that I am undecided on).
>
> Rather, the decision on whether it does this should be based on
> usability.

Of course, but I thought that the fact that they are different things for
different tasks was a neat summary. And that something should have simple,
understandable behaviour, without freaking people out by pretending to be
half of one thing and half of another.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net