Re: [Usability] gtk 2.3.2 file selector suggestions

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 20:01 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > FFIW, I completely agree with this. I also think they would look even
> > better if they would be homogeneous. Earlier I modified TigerT's mockup
> > to show how this would look like (just imagine that there would be icons
> > in the buttons and ignore the rest of the dialog):
> > http://liebesgedichte.net/Temp/filesel-spark3-simple.png
> > Is that what you had in mind?
>
> Ah, yes - that looks great.  The Add/Remove buttons need icons, tho.
> The "parent folder" item doesn't look like a button, either, which is
> inconsistent - it looks like a toolbar item, but isn't on a toolbar.

My initial thought was to embed this in the filelist:
http://liebesgedichte.net/Temp/filesel-spark3.png
But I'm not sure how trivial this would be to do. It would also break
with the tree which seems to be used for the folder selection dialog.
The folder selection tree also has other problems though, for example it
selects items with single clicks and moves around the view erratically.
I wonder if it's a good idea to have such different behavior for folder
selection.

> Actually, with the icons in (which don't work at least in Fedora's gtk
> 2.3.2) I don't think there should be *any* bolding - the icons make it
> quite clear enough as is.

Looking at TigerT's mockup of the filelist (without bolding), I would
agree with that. There's also no bolding in Nautilus' list view of
course.

Daniel