Re: [Usability] gtk 2.3.2 file selector suggestions

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 01:02 +0100, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 11:17 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > #1) the Add/Remove bookmarks buttons are in completely the wrong place.
> > It's not obvious at all that they have anything to do with the
> > bookmarks, especially not that they're placed just next to the Up button
> > (which is unrelated to bookmarks).  I suggested that the add/remove
> > buttons be placed under the bookmarks list (the bottom of the buttons
> > would be near the bottom edge of the file list).  Is this a good idea?
>
> FFIW, I completely agree with this. I also think they would look even
> better if they would be homogeneous. Earlier I modified TigerT's mockup
> to show how this would look like (just imagine that there would be icons
> in the buttons and ignore the rest of the dialog):
> http://liebesgedichte.net/Temp/filesel-spark3-simple.png
> Is that what you had in mind?

Ah, yes - that looks great.  The Add/Remove buttons need icons, tho.
The "parent folder" item doesn't look like a button, either, which is
inconsistent - it looks like a toolbar item, but isn't on a toolbar.

> Other little details I'd like to suggest:
> - Moving the Up button to the top right as on the mockup. Wouldn't this
> make it more obvious that the icon acts on the file list?

Hmm, the locality does make more sense.  Plus it seems easier to access
when working on folders, as it's closer to the file list widget.

> - No relief for the Up button. I would count this as a toolbar icon and
> toolbar icons should have no relief. :) Also it looks much better IMO.

inconsistent, tho, since it's not a toolbar.

> - Using "Parent Folder" as the label. This has two advantages, first
> it's more in line with the wording of the new spatial Nautilus ("Open
> Parent Folder") and second it provides a larger click target.

Makes sense.  It's also a lot more descriptive than "Up" which could
mean a number of things - move the file up in the list?  etc.

> That's all. Of course I also agree with all your other points (though I
> have no real opinion yet on #4), they don't seem very questionable to
> me. :)

Actually, with the icons in (which don't work at least in Fedora's gtk
2.3.2) I don't think there should be *any* bolding - the icons make it
quite clear enough as is.