Re: [Usability] Locating the mouse pointer when it is on the bottom of the screen?

Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, John Keller wrote:

True, it's just that programming an application then becomes full of special cases. (Not talking about drawing programs, but radio buttons vs. text-filled buttons, for example.)

It seems to me that a lowel level toolkit or something should take care of that. Application programmers should be unaffected.

That would be nice, but I'm sure that as soon as you (as a programmer) get away from the built-in widgets, you're going to have to worry about this. The fact that the demo didn't have it is telling, for me.

rotating arrow becomes disconcerting. I would expect that, on some unconscious level, a user would be disconcerted by his virtual "hand" being so free to rotate through 360 degrees. Not to mention that the "joint" - the pivot point - is the tip, not the base.

I don't think this really is a concern. In the UI on a computer, we don't have the physical restraints from the real world - why try to replicate them?

It's not replication, but the psychology of it. I'm don't know for sure, but I would expect to find that most all users make a connection to the on-screen arrow as an extension of their body.

Just because the computer gives boundless possibilities (aside from a flat screen) doesn't mean that anything goes. Why else attempt to replicate a desktop, or leverage the mind's spatial abilities by presenting a concrete universe?

I don't think that an arrow with ties to real-world behavior is an example of being a slave to real-world physical constraints, but rather leveraging a user's real-world experiences.

- John