Re: [Usability] Locating the mouse pointer when it is on the bottom of the screen?

Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, John Keller wrote:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~bederson/livecursor/

Ugh. I'm sorry, but I found it that much *harder* to target small objects (the resize handles on the boxes).

I agree they seem to be a bit harder to target at first, though I don't know how this would feel after a few days of practice. Perhaps the resize handles need to be magnetic to the cursor?

True, it's just that programming an application then becomes full of special cases. (Not talking about drawing programs, but radio buttons vs. text-filled buttons, for example.)

It's an interesting test, but I'm not convinced that it's ready for everyday use.

We will only know if someone implements it for X so we can try it out in everyday use...

I totally agree. I didn't mean to come off as dismissing it out-of-hand, just that I tend to think that such a cursor would either be limited to certain applications or certain people (for example, married with the high-contrast, large-cursor accessibility theme so that the cursor doesn't always block a large swatch to its lower-right).

Fundamentally, it breaks an interface conceit: if the arrow is an idealized representation of the hand (with a right-handed bias, I agree), then a rotating arrow becomes disconcerting. I would expect that, on some unconscious level, a user would be disconcerted by his virtual "hand" being so free to rotate through 360 degrees. Not to mention that the "joint" - the pivot point - is the tip, not the base.

Perhaps with refinement it may work better than the existing behavior. That's why I agree that it would take an actual implementation and user tests to have a clear idea of its actual usefulness (not to mention, usability).

- John